3.5 The competencies of the effective practitioner
It would be overly ambitious to attempt a comprehensive review of the competencies of the OD practitioner. Rather, what follows are a few pointers that may stimulate thinking around what it takes to be effective.
- Familiarity with current thinking and application
- Psychological maturity
- Sensitivity in listening and observing
- Awareness of personal impact on others
- Technical background derived from training with an experienced practitioner
- Knowledge of both large- and small-system change strategies and creativity in adapting them to felt needs
- Ability to express oneself simply and clearly
- Ability to confront and be confronted
- Ability to demonstrate confidence without being arrogant
- Willingness to take risks
These guidelines, along with others you may find researched in the literature or establish for yourself from your own experience, can form the basis for continuing professional development.
My website contains further resources that may be of interest …